One Hit Wonders
- In January Elvis returns to Memphis to record. He records “In the Ghetto” “Suspicious Minds” “Rubbernecking” “Daddy don’t Cry” to name a few.
- Paul McCartney marries Linda Eastman and John Lennon marries Yoko Ono.
- The frightened little network CBS pulls the plug on the Smothers Brothers, because of their Viet Nam War Stance.
- Brian Jones leaves the Stones and is dead 4 months later, by drowning.
- Sun Records is sold by Sam Phillips to Shelby Singleton.
- The Who creates the first Rock Opera “Tommy”.
- Woodstock attracts 500,000 people. Altamont, while acting as security guards for the Rolling Stones, Hell’s Angels stab and kill a spectator and even the Stones were frightened of them.
- The Beatles give their final performance on the roof of Apple Records for the film “Let it Be”, the song was “Get Back”.
Cinnamon / January 69 / Derek / #11 BB
He was Johnny Cymbal (Mr. Bass Man) and left us from a heart attack in his sleep in 1993 at 48.
The Worst that Could Happen / February 69 / Brooklyn Bridge / #3 BB
This was of course the late Johnny Maestro who was also the lead singer of the Crests.
Gimme Gimme Good Lovin / May 69 / Crazy Elephant / #12 BB
Crazy Elephant was a studio concoction, created by Jerry Kasenetz and Jeff Katz of Super K Productions
Black Pearl / July 69 / The Checkmates, LTD / #13 BB
A Phil Spector Production featuring Sonny Charles.
My Pledge of Love / July 69 / Joe Jeffry Group / #14 BB
A group from Cleveland Ohio
Good Old Rock and Roll / August 1969 / Cat Mother and the All Night Newsboys / #21 BB
A group started in New York by Roy Michaels and Bob Smith both are deceased.
Polk Salad Annie / August 69 / Tony Joe White / #8 BB
From Louisiana, he wrote this song and Rainy Night in Georgia.
Get Together / September 69 / The Youngblood’s / #5 BB
I have seen this group, in person, small club and spent time with Jesse Colin Young. One-Hit, I do not agree https://strathdee.wordpress.com/2010/08/28/the-youngbloods/
Baby it’s You / November 69 / Smith / #5 BB
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6atUODsWGs This was an L.A. based blues band.
Na Na Hey Hey Kiss him Goodbye / December 69 / Steam / #1 BB
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsaTElBljOE They were a studio band out of New York City.